- Smoked (streaky) bacon, 4 slices, finely sliced
- 1 Onion finely diced
- Brown Mushrooms, 250g / 8oz, cut into quarters
- Fresh Thyme, 2 Stalks
- Arborio Rice 275g / 10oz
- White Wine (Sauvignon Blanc) 200ml / 6-7floz
- Chicken or vegetable stock, 1.2liters / 40floz
- Parmesan (to taste)
- Flat leaf (Italian) Parsley, handful finely chopped
- Mixed salad leaves, garnish
- Get a large pan on a gentle / medium heat, add a little olive oil and start sweating the bacon in the pan until it has rendered some of the fat and began to caramelise. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onion and continue to cook for another 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and fresh thyme and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes
- Add the arborio rice, move it around the pan, for a minute or so, but make sure that all the rice is coated in the oil. When it begins to crackle then add the wine.
- Let the wine come to the a boil and then give the mixture a start make sure none of the rice stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the rice ad absorbed all the wine then add enough stock to cover and cook on a gentle heat, moving occasionally until the rice has absorbed most of the stock. Then repeat for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Grate in some parmesan and add the parsley. (You could also add a couple of knobs of butter)
- Grab a large serving plater and put the risotto on to it. Then sprinkle over some lovely green salad leaves.